Re: oracle 9i in solaris 10 zones

From: Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 12:21:32 -0500

A solaris zone is not like an HP vpar. A zone in solaris is the rough equivalent of a FreeBSD jail - one common kernel instance among all zones, and all of the segmentation is done by the kernel. So, if you do a ps, you won't see processes in the other zones - but the "master" or "real" OS instance will show all of them.

A vpar, by comparison, is an actual OS instance, like a VMWare instance.

Matt