Connect to Oracle DB from Web

From: Ethan Post <post.ethan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 08:19:52 -0600

I know there has been some discussion here in the past regarding what you need to do to your firewall to allow connections from the web server to an Oracle database. I have a situation where someone is requesting this. I have advised that this is likely not a good idea since I *think* you have to pretty much open up the firewall for all traffic to achieve this. However, I have not stayed up on this and have never been very good at it, so can anyone point me to some security papers etc...that would talk about the whys and why nots of allowing direct public web access to the DB. Perhaps something that explains the *mechanics* that make going through a midtier safer?