RE: Testing Refresh Procedure

From: hitender chugh <chughhk_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 17:51:18 -0500

Hi Josh,

Can you please elaborate the procedure how do you do it thru RMAN? Is it like recovery kind of thing ? What if the tablespaces and data files names are not same? Obviously the database names are also different.

Thanks

From: "joshc" <collier_jw@comcast.net>
To: <chughhk@hotmail.com>,<oracledba.williams@gmail.com>
CC: <danielwfink@yahoo.com>,<oracle-l@freelists.org>
Subject: RE: Testing Refresh Procedure
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 14:37:44 -0800

On our systems, I use RMAN to refresh a dev database from production. Then the developers apply their change scripts to move the objects to the next release level.

Josh C.

From:  "Dennis Williams" <oracledba.williams@gmail.com>
To:  chughhk@hotmail.com
CC:  danielwfink@yahoo.com, oracle-l@freelists.org
Date:  Wed, 22 Mar 2006 16:06:27 -0600

Chugh,

My requirements is also similar where I have to refresh the lower regions (databases - development,system,acceptance etc.) from production data but not the functions,procedures,packages etc. very frequently. I use exp, and imp data after disabling triggers,fk constraints and truncating tables.

The advantage of cloning techniques compared to export/import is that you receive an exact replica of the production system. Why would you want to exclude functions, procedures, packages, etc.? The idea is that before a change is promoted to production it is tested against a current copy of production. The worst circumstance is that you promote something to production only to discover after much anguish that production has a different version of a function, procedure, package, or etc. than the test database.

Dennis Williams

-- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Wed Mar 22 2006 - 16:51:18 CST