Re: ideas to use ora hash

From: Glenn Santa Cruz <glenn.santacruz_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 07:52:50 -0600

Not sure how you'd apply this to tuning, or to reduce storage space, but we used it to provide a pseudo-random ordering of rows for a particular application. The requirement was to provide a random list of entries from a table, but the list needed to be "page-able" (think of web site, displaying page 1 of 10, etc). We couldn't just order by dbms_random.random, since that would effectively break pagination; and we had to keep these in order for the particular web session. Solution? Concatenate the unique web session identifier with another unique column in the table and sort by the hashed value. Worked quite well.

Glenn