Job opportunity in Berkeley, CA and 10g stats blurb

From: Jeremiah Wilton <jeremiah_at_ora-600.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 14:52:16 -0800

My client in Berkeley is still trying to hire a qualified DBA candidate. Their small team often reminds me of Amazon's early DBA team both in style and size. If you have any interest, check out my careers page:

http://www.ora-600.net/careers.html

Now for some obligatory technical content, so that I am not just a spammer.

Q: When I upgrade to 10g, do I need to do anything special about stats gathering?

  1. By default in 10g, unless you delete the job, you already have automated stats gathering enabled. Look at DBA_SCHEDULER_JOBS for a job called 'GATHER_STATS_JOB'. If it is there, then 10g is gathering stats at the specified time on all tables with no stats, and those with more then 10% of rows changed. Many clients I have encountered are not aware that stats are being gathered by default in 10g, and they enable their old 9i stats jobs from cron or elsewhere, which causes unpredictable optimizer behavior.

HTH,   Jeremiah Wilton

ORA-600 Consulting

Recoveries - Consulting - Hiring - Seminars

http://www.ora-600.net <http://www.ora-600.net/>