Re: create pfile from spfile in RAC

From: LiShan Cheng <exriscer_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 14:26:51 +0100

Hi

You dont need to start the instance to create pfile/spfile from spfile/pfile. I have however found the culprit. In the beginning I thought RAC was using a spfile but it turns out it was using a pfile which contains a single line pointing to a spfile located in the raw device and that is why it was saying ORA-27037: unable to obtain file status

please note how creating pfile and spfile works when instance is not started:

Single Instance:

[oracle_at_rac01 oracle]$ sqlplus "/ as sysdba"

SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on Mon Mar 20 14:14:28 2006

Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle. All rights reserved. Connected to an idle instance.

SQL> create spfile from pfile;

File created.

SQL> create pfile = '/tmp/init.ora' from spfile;

File created.

RAC: [oracle_at_rac01 oracle]$ sqlplus / as sysdba

SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on Mon Mar 20 14:17:23 2006

Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Connected to an idle instance.

SQL> create spfile='/tmp/spfile.ora' from pfile;

File created.

SQL> create pfile='/tmp/pfile.ora' from spfile; create pfile='/tmp/pfile.ora' from spfile *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-27037: unable to obtain file status
Linux Error: 2: No such file or directory Additional information: 3

Cheers