Re: Thoughts in /* standardized SQL remarks */

From: jaromir nemec <jaromir_at_db-nemec.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 15:22:58 +0100

Hi,

>>I had looked into doing something similar. I asked Tom Kyte about it

>>and he mentioned that Oracle already normalizes the SQL in certain cases

>>and will probably be doing so in more cases in the future, so the

>>comments may not be visible in the future.

Indeed the SQL Statements from PL/SQL are (at least in 10gR2) upper cased and the comments are removed. (Probably the white spaces are unified).

> My guess is that there will also always be some parameters available to prevent

> Oracle from doing this.

Not sure how to switch it off but the hint like comments remains unchanged. Of course care should be taken to avoid comments like

/*+ RULE OF THE DATABESE IS MINE! */   Cheers,

Jaromir

  Yes that is a good point. I suppose so long as I add the comments in an automated fashion to the source code then it isn't really a big deal if it disappears someday since not a lot of work went into it. My guess is that there will also always be some parameters available to prevent Oracle from doing this. While I wouldn't normally disable such options, it may be beneficial when going through a very large trace file and trying to determine why Widget thingy doesn't do the inventory thingy right when the wdiget comes off backorder.

  So the main recommend so far is "keep it short and sweet". I agree.

  On 3/17/06, Jerry Brenner <jbrenner_at_guidewire.com> wrote:     I had looked into doing something similar. I asked Tom Kyte about it and he mentioned that Oracle already normalizes the SQL in certain cases and will probably be doing so in more cases in the future, so the comments may not be visible in the future.