Re: Thoughts in /* standardized SQL remarks */

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_roughsea.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 22:10:39 +0100

Ethan Post wrote:

> Reading through some very long and complicated SQL trace files today,
> I find I frequently have to go grep the code to try to find out where
> the SQL originated from. Do you think a comment in the SQL should be
> standardized for our development staff?
>
> SELECT /* module, about, date modified */
>
> what are your thoughts?

Ethan,

     What I fear is that after a while you may have a long history of changes, and the snag is that contrarily to a 'regular' programming language, your source is what you send to the database. You may end up having your shared pool with too many long commented statements for comfort ...
What about SELECT /* $Header$ */? It will be expanded by the source control system but at least it will keep manageable ...

HTH Stephane Faroult