RE: java for the database

From: Christian Antognini <Christian.Antognini_at_trivadis.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 22:46:48 +0100

Dennis

>I haven't had the opportunity to experience the opposite.
>Perhaps you can provide more details about what is bad
>about creating the ERD, then asking the Java people to
>work against that.

It's difficult to give details about such a topic... The OO model is so different from the relational model that, as I already wrote, IMHO it's much better to do separate designs.

>I'm assuming they wouldn't create a one-to-one relationship
>between classes and database tables, but to me as a DBA it
>seems like a good starting point.

They shouldn't. In practice I already saw that. One of the problems, probably, is also that JDBC is not OO at all. This lead to 1:1 mappings even if it's very bad. In such cases the reason is simplicity. Unfortunately even if the mapping is very easy, the resulting classes are very hard to use.

Something very similar happens also with logical and physical database design. Often between the two a 1:1 mapping is performed. Of course, in some situations, this is simply bad.

Regards,
Chris