Undo tablespace offline and ORA-00376

From: Sami Seerangan <dba.orcl_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 16:25:22 -0500

2 Node RAC,9.2.0.6, Sun OS 2.8

We created new undo tablespaces (UNDO3, UNDO4) for each node1 and node2 respectively and changed default undo tablespace to UNDO3 and UNDO4. Then we put old UNDO tablespaces offline.

After 2 days we are trying to create a new index and it gives the following error.

Any idea?

SQL> CREATE UNIQUE INDEX ABC_KEY_IDX01 ON ABC_STAGE (SESSN_KEY, PART_KEY,SUB_PART_KEY) TABLESPACE STAGE_INDEX LOCAL NOPARALLEL;

                                           *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1
ORA-00376: file 2 cannot be read at this time
ORA-01110: data file 2: '/u01/oradata/pdw/undotbs01.dbf'

Luckily the tablespace is still offline and I can bring it online. But I just wanted to know teh reason behind this?

Thanks
Sami