Re: the 10.2 dbca still leaves much to be desired

From: Grant Allen <gxallen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 07:38:16 +1100

Paul Drake wrote:
> One might think that the current version of the database creation
> assistant - after being revised in 8.1.7, 9.0.1, 9.2, 10.1 - would be
> a mature product in the 10.2 release of the database server software.
>
> Alright, no one that has actually used it would make that (wrongful)
> assumption.
>
> What irked me today, was that for a Standard Edition install (do not
> create starter database) that the dbca still includes creation scripts
> for
>
> Label Security
> Spatial
>
> Aren't there any loops closed there regarding feedback from customers?

Whooooaaaa there Paul. A decent dbca? I can hear the words of certain devs already. "Fix DBCA? We don't need no stinkin' DBCA." (or words to that effect :-) :-) ). My pet gripe? Having to open two dialogs to get to a spinner control for something that should be editable *in place*!!!! Yes, I normally script things, so no dbca, but when you're trying to get a team of devs to do a little self-service by creating their own sandbox instances, dbca is annoying.

We might be waiting a while for some action on this front. It's taken 10+ years for Oracle to get the message that maybe, just maybe, something like Raptor (or whatever they're calling it now) is more than just a sop to the point-n-click brigade from <cough>microsoft</cough> - it might actually be useful, and a damn sight better than the GUI version of sql*plus! They're probably feeling all giddy from that, and are having a quiet lay down somewhere. Given that experience, I'd say dbca will be perfect in, say, 2015.

If I'm wrong, I'll buy everyone on Oracle-L a beer (you just have to get to Sydney to drink it - I'm sure Steve, Howard and Nuno will happily be your proxies :-) ).

Ciao
Fuzzy
:-)