RE: java for the database

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 18:03:55 -0500

At 466 pages, including the index, "Structured Design: Fundamentals of a Discipline of Computer Program and Systems Design" by Edward Yourdon and Larry L. Constantine, circa 1977, is an extremely efficient read for just about everything you need to know about designing systems. Some of the 3rd generation programming references are a little antique, but they make all the requisite points very clearly.

Whether someone did the shorthand in their head, or formally with tools or diagrams, all the best systems I've seen were constructed in a manner that fits neatly with dataflow diagrams and transform centered design.

More modern systems typically have a high emphasis on the human interface, which is just one of the afferent legs toward the transform center for input and and efferent legs for painting the screen and reporting. Use cases can be similarly mapped to a transform centered design, and thus you can make a sensibly integrated java environment and schema design. If you don't understand your data flow and transform centers, I don't understand how someone can sensibly engage in tossing together UML to document the system being built. Maybe that's my lack of understanding.

You don't have to use the antique hand drawn pictures, but once you imprint them on your brain it will change how you think (in a good way) forever. It is probably out of print, but usually you can find it on ebay. The Second Edition is much better than the First (or so I've been told - I only have the Second Edition).

Regards,

mwf