Truncating tables in RAC environment

From: Hameed, Amir <Amir.Hameed_at_xerox.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 10:59:49 -0500

Folks,
It seems that truncating a table under RAC is more expensive than truncating it under a single instance because of the dictionary cache synchronization. We converted a single instance to a three-node RAC and for those jobs that truncate tables during processing, the 10046 trace files show "DFS lock handle" wait. The tables that get truncated are staging/intermediate tables and sometimes they contain a lot of rows and therefore a delete command can take a long time to finish. On the other hand a few seconds DFS wait is still much better than the wait that a blind delete will cause. But I was wondering if there was a better way to avoid/minimize this wait.

Thanks
Amir