RE: Best Practice - Oracle Network thru Firewall

From: Luca Canali <Luca.Canali_at_cern.ch>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 19:19:21 +0100

Hi,

Interesting topic. As you say VPN may be expensive and also may not give you the needed security. I mean: can you trust the entire source network(s) or only the clients that want to connect? With CMAN I see the problem that you probably would have to expose it through a hole in the firewall..I would not know then if CMAN can be considered 'stronger' than the listener (my guess is that it is not).

I wonder if anybody sells reverse proxies, possibly with password authentication, that can be used with Oracle traffic in a scalable and secure way (and maybe also certified).
Similar objects (typically HW) are common for web applications and often used to add HTTPS support to 'old' web applications that can only use HTTP, so they maybe available for Oracle*net too.

Cheers,
L.