RE: High mbrc in aux_stats$

From: <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 23:24:13 +0100

Ciao Luca

>On a related note, Oracle 10gR2 has changed the default value on
>db_file_multiblock_read_count to match the system I/O max size (on my
>test Linux DBs with 8K block I ended up with
>db_file_multiblock_read_count=128).

Attention, it is not the max I/O size, it is, according to the reference guide, the "maximum I/O size that can be efficiently performed". It seams not that different... in reality it is!

>Oracle's documentation seems to me somewhat cryptic on this. First they
>say:
>
>"Even though the default value may be a large value, the optimizer will
>not favor large plans if you do not set this parameter. It would do so
>only if you explicitly set this parameter to a large value."

This is because in 10gR2 either MBRC (system statistics) or a default value (8) is used.

>...any thoughts/experiences on using the default value for
>db_file_multiblock_read_count on 10gR2?

DON'T USE IT. Presently the "auto-tuned" value is not dependent on performance figures but only on a couple of other parameters.

HTH
Chris