Re: expensive SQL

From: Bjørn Dörr Jensen <B.D.Jensen_at_gmx.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 13:29:14 +0100

Hi!
I see you make an correct use of rownum, but I better like the use of analytic functions... Greetings
Bjoern

  BN,

  We can only guess what the sql is supposed to accomplish. Is the programmer trying to get the latest record where server <>='cas1' by using rowed? If so, then this sql is not valid (think of records being deleted and new records being added - they will reuse a lower value rowid).

  There are a lot of other ways to accomplish what (I think) he is trying to do:

  select * from

   (select * from max_update

        Where server <> 'cas1'

         Order by (some column to determine the most recent record))

  Where rownum < 2

  Good Luck!

  Tom

  From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of BN   Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2006 6:50 PM   To: Oracle-L Freelists
  Subject: expensive SQL

  Greetings

  I see the following SQL from the Developer,

  select * from max_update where rowid in   (select max(rowid) from vrcdba.max_update group by request_id )   and request_id not in (select request_id from max_update where server ='cas1');

  Takes for ever

  What is he tryig to to do

  Appreciate your help

  Regards & thanks