Histogram Procedure/Function

From: Ethan Post <post.ethan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 13:34:32 -0600

I am looking for the easiest way to take a select and transform into some sort of histogram...

select numeric_value from table_name;

should come back as

range             total
1-10                30
11-20              100

Guessing I could create a temp table and actually have oracle generate a histogram for me then pull that back but wondering if there is a simple function or procedure I can use. Thinking about this as I type so I apogise if the answer turns out to be somewhat obvious.

Thanks,
Ethan