RE: Solid state disks for Oracle?

From: Kevin Closson <kevinc_at_polyserve.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 08:22:14 -0800

>>>Much better to just add-on a small SSD, create the redo f/s
>>>there, and bang!: there is your turbo-charged write speed
>>>*exactly* where you want it.

What if you want that SSD to provide redo space for, say, 20 servers? The point I'm making is that since these devices only serve up blocks, they are difficult to provision to several servers...and that is not maximizing your spend. If you front one of these with a NAS gateway, you can serve NFS mounts (dozons if you wish) and have many servers perform their redo to these mounts.

This works and is very manageable and extremely fast.