Re: RMAN impact

From: Steve Perry <sperry_at_sprynet.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 20:14:21 -0600

we have a rman backup for 500 GB 9.2 RAC on RHEL3 (3 LTO II drives) that takes 3 hours to complete, but kills the node it runs on. io wait % goes to 60%, cpu is low. the server is pretty much unresponsive until it completes. We allocate 4 channels and are not using the large_pool or tape slaves.

We tried the same thing but used Disk (seperate LUN from the database) and the server crashed.

  Hi, all,

  I just started to look into RMAN backup and recovery and have a question: for example, it takes 2 hours for RMAN to backup the database, how much impact will RMAN have on the database during this 2 hours? Will user be able to access the database during this 2 hours?

  Any comments would be greatly appreciated!!   Regards,
  -Li