RE: Solid state disks for Oracle?

From: Kevin Closson <kevinc_at_polyserve.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 09:50:12 -0800

>>>Are 'solid state disks' a viable technology to build Oracle
>>>DBs, or are they still 'a niche'? I'd appreciate if anybody
>>>could share their experience or point me to recent
>>>literature (case studies) on the subject.

It is only viable if it can be presented in a reasonable way, in my opinion. Mind you, I have an 8-port Imperial Megaram 5000 attached to one of my lab systems that can service ~32,000 random IOps or a full Gigabyte per second of redo logging (64KB serial async writes). They are expensive devices (this one was >$150,000), so you better have a really sane way to provision the space to as many servers as you can to justify the cost.

Unless you can serve up the SSD via a SAN Gateway device like the HP EFS Clustered Gateway or via a cluster filesystem, provisioning space from these things can be a pain, and prone to human error. With a SAN gateway like the EFS-CG, you could put the SSD behind the scalable NAS heads and serve up redo log directories to literally dozens of servers throughout your data center with no SPOF. A great deployment model and it would make redo logging, um, really really fast.

Unbreakable?