Re: RMAN impact

From: Kevin Lidh <kevin.lidh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 09:53:13 -0700

On our largest database, approx 5 TB, we do our hot backup in the early hours. What you might see is:
Top 5 Timed Events

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~                                                     %
Total
Event                                               Waits    Time (s) Ela
Time
-------------------------------------------- ------------ -----------
--------
db file sequential read                       183,907,653   1,251,537
69.33
CPU time                                                      248,748
13.78
sbtwrite2                                       7,288,661     201,689
11.17
sbtbackup                                              46      31,919
1.77
buffer busy waits                               5,505,360      23,707
1.31

So there is an impact. To me, the alternative is worse.