Re: Best Practice - Oracle Network thru Firewall

From: Greg Norris <spikey.mcmarbles_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 09:26:51 -0600

On 3/6/06, Tony Jambu <tjambu_freelists_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> The client made a decision in the past about letting SQL Net thru the
> FW. Not much I can do there now. Oracle Advance Security is
> probably not an option the client will go with but no harm discussing it.

In this sort of situation I prefer to use the port-forwarding capabilities of OpenSSH... this way you at least require strong authentication before allowing access. With a fairly small amount of configuration effort, you can actually lock down the OpenSSH daemon pretty tightly.

Managing the user side is, admittedly, a bit more demanding. Much of this can be alleviated, however, by setting up a standard PuTTY configuration which could simply be emailed to the relevant users.

--
"I'm too sexy for my code." - Awk Sed Fred.