Re: Shutdown Immediate Hangs

From: Michael McMullen <ganstadba_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 15:22:54 -0500

Stop the listener
shutdown abort;
startup restrict;
shutdown immediate;

see if that works.
I've recently had issues with 8.1.7 on Solaris 5.8, the latest patchset wasn't releasing the oracle processes and the prompt wasn't returning after a shutdown, only shutdown abort would work. everything would look good in the alert log, it just wasn't returning to the prompt.. we rolled back out of the patchset to fix the problem. Personally, I don't think we should be doing any more patchset on a server where the database isn't supported, but it wasn't my call.