Re: Is TNSPING = 1000ms OK? Oracle says it is

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 00:45:26 -0500

On 03/07/2006 04:44:21 PM, Tony Jambu wrote:
> Hi Mladen
>
> Will do some reading on it. But in the meantime,
> why is it that both TNSPING to the same server at the same
> time (to different ports) return different times? Who is the one
> that initial the 'type' ping. The initiator or 'target'

Tony, 1 second for the packet to come back is far too much. My first advice would be to try normal unix ping. That sould give you the average packet turnaround time between two nodes. Values reported by tnsping should be somewhat larger then the values reported by the normal "ping" utility. What TNSPING does is to send packets to the listener and listener responds. Normal, unix ping uses ICMP protocol to elicit response. It doesn't go through TCP layer. Values up to twice as large as ping are expected. Values 10 times larger show you that the anomaly is in the oracle layer. Next thing to do is to test with nmap utility. This utility is not present at every system and you might have to ask your admin to install it. It's one among the best hacker tools, normally used for searching open ports. In contrast to "ping", "nmap" knows how to use TCP and will ping the port and time the ping. If both ports are reporting the same time to nmap, you can do only one thing: trace the connection from both sides and get Oracle involved.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mgogala.com