Re: Is TNSPING = 1000ms OK? Oracle says it is

From: Mark Brinsmead <mark.brinsmead_at_shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 22:43:31 -0700

Wow. Laughed out loud! Well said, Mladen!

For those who didn't bother to look up and read RFC1149 (I couldn't resist, and I'm glad I looked!) it describes a method for "Internet Protocol over Avian Carriers", or as Mladen calls it, "Carrier Pigeon IP".

Apologies if I'm repeating something that is an old and tired joke on this list, but I laughed so hard that almost wet myself when I read that RFC. :-) And as for 1000ms TNSPING being "acceptable", well personally, I would say "never". I suppose that Malden may be right, but even on PCIP, I'd tolerate it only if the pigeons were *very* old.

Having entered the discussion late, I presume that the OP by now realises that the "OKAY" reported by TNSPING is simply noting that the "ping" succeeded (eventually) -- it is not an endorsement of the "quality" of the performance or response time. I don't know about anybody else, but the only responses I have ever seen from TNSPING are "OK" and "FAILED". Although perhaps in this case it *should* have said "NOT GREAT" or maybe "NEEDS WORK"...