Re: ASM and RAW Devices on RHEL 4

From: Tanel Põder <>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 13:43:58 -0600

Put 'em into /etc/sysconfig/rawdevices

  Does anyone have a problem with raw devices disappearing upon reboot in RedHat AS4 QU2 (x86-64)? We find that we have to recreate them on boot via rc scripts and trust that this is not standard operating procedure?!

  From: [] On Behalf Of Raj S   Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 2:16 PM
  Cc: johan Eriksson; Oracle-L Freelists   Subject: Re: ASM and RAW Devices on RHEL 4

  There are no issues using rawdevices for ocr.dbf and votingdisk. They work just fine. Put them in your /etc/sysconfig/rawdevices and create the necessary mapping to the shared storage. We have several of these running fine on raw devices with 10G R2 on RHEL4.

  On 3/7/06, LiShan Cheng <> wrote:     Hi

    That test is comparing LVM + EXT3 vs ASM + RAW. My comparison would be ASM + RAW + LINUX I/O API vs ASM + RAW + ASMLIB I/O API.

    I am not sure if ASMLib is better or ASM and RAW is enough.

    LSC     On 3/7/06, johan Eriksson <> wrote:

      On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 10:54 +0100, LiShan Cheng wrote:

> Hi
> I am going to install a 10gR2 RAC in a couple of weeks. It will be
> RHEL 4 Update 2 and I will be using ASM for all database files.
> However I have some doubts, I am wondering if ASMLib API gives better
> performance than Linux standard I/O API? Anyone with both ASMLib
> experience and ASM + RAW + Linux I/O API?
We have just installed this combination but I haven't tested the performance yet. One test is at
> I also read this note, Note: 357492.1, Linux 2.6 kernel deprecation of
> raw devices. I was planning to use RAW Devices for the voting disk and
> OCR files. If raw devices are deprecated does it mean I must use
> OCFS2?
Linux 2.6 and OCFS2 aren't yet cerified so I think you have to use raw for ocr and voting (if you care about support) /johan