Stats and behavior weirdness

From: Kevin Lidh <kevin.lidh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 10:12:19 -0700

We have a large CRM implementation in production (5 TB) which is 9.2.0.4 on Tru64 5.1b. We have a scaled down version in development (853 GB) on the same OS and database version, where we do our performance tests. We have this one query that runs subsecond in production but ran for 1.5 hours before I shot it in the development environment. I profiled, 10053'd, and everything and couldn't come up with a "for sure" reason why it was so bad. The explain plan cost for production is 31 and only 21 in dev (I know, I know, it's just a number). But here's the weirdness, I decided to export with no rows the schema from development and import it into a database on my Linux x86-64 laptop. I imported the statistics and changed the pfile to match (as much as I could) the development box. When I ran the explain plan for the query, it matched production exactly. With the exception of row counts, it was identical. The same indexes that weren't picked up in development.

So what I'm wondering is if the following conditions exist: 1) parameters match between production and development (from 10053 traces) 2) no outlines are created for the query (looking at hash_value and hash_value2 from outln.ol$)
3) statistics don't seem to be the issue (from my Linux box test) 4) there aren't any system statistics on either system (query sys.aux_stats$ )
5) the alter session commands are the same (run from a script in all three environments)

Has anyone seen anything else that could influence the optimizer in such a negative way? This one really baffles me. The CPU consumed on the development box is dramatic. I have access to all three systems if anyone is interested in this challenge.