Re: SUSPECT: RE: Quick and dirty way to compare table contents

From: Ethan Post <post.ethan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 09:17:04 -0600

I deal with a lot of different db's in which configuration data may differ, for example a row in one table stores the value that is displayed for a control on a form. This type of thing can get out of sync pretty easily between various qa/test environments and source control. I went ahead and wrote a program in Access a few weeks ago that is working pretty nicely which will do a complete compare of two tables (assume no longs and such) and log all the changes that need to be made, as well as make the changes if I like. Works well on small tables. Started writing it in PLSQL and was way too complicated based on my requirements. So chalk one up for MS Access and ODBC for all you detractors! I am sure there are some tools that do this (Toad likely) but I needed to exclude certain columns (timestamps), wanted to be able to compare tables of different names with same structure, wanted to be able to create tables to store the data in etc...basically the requirements meant write it myself. It was actually pretty simple based on what it is doing.