RE: logs

From: Jim Silverman <jsilverman_at_Solucient.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 08:07:44 -0500

I don't disagree that there is potentially useful information in the TNS log. However, if you consider 470,000 connections per month to be a surprisingly high number, in a previous life we had applications that saw this many connections every couple of days. (I don't have any hard numbers, but this is probably a good order of magnitude.) As a result, trying to sift any useful information from this amount of noise was virtually impossible.

That said, if there are particular events in which you are interested, I agree that Perl would do a nice job of culling through the hundreds of thousands of log entries to find them.

Jim Silverman
Senior Systems Database Administrator
Solucient, LLC
Telephone: 734-669-7641
FAX:            734-930-7611
E-Mail:         jsilverman_at_solucient.com