RE: hanging shutdowns, excellent case for a standby recovery database and associated frozen rename target

From: <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 16:12:07 -0600

Something in there just sparked this: if that level of DB recovery is necessary, then wouldn't that have to extend to the DB server's OS as well? There's no guarantee that at the time of the cold backup that the oracle s/w wouldn't have had extraneous suids set or be owned by root or was running with this particular Oracle patch that required a particular OS patch or whatever. Ewwwwwww!!!! I think that's on the 6th level of hell...

Rich