RE: hanging shutdowns

From: Powell, Mark D <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 10:19:57 -0500

>> None of us doubt that the hot backups are adequate for recovery. <<

From multiple personal experiences with a live production system manual hot backups work! I have never had to recover a live production database using rman. That I have only done in practice, but I believe Oracle and others that the tool does in fact work.

There is nothing wrong with cold backups. A cold backup provides a consistent point in time recovery from which a forward recovery can be done, but unlike with a hot backup does not have to be done. This makes cold backups (or a copy) excellent for sending offsite to a disaster recovery site. No archive logs have to be sent with it. But cold backups require a window. When the database is large enough that just copying all the files takes several hours the time usually does not exist to perform a cold backup. So hot backups were made available to eliminate the need to stop the database while the backup is made.

I think someone needs to question the reasoning behind legal's opinion.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --