RE: hanging shutdowns

From: Powell, Mark D <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 10:07:13 -0500

If a shutdown immediate hangs then what I do is usually just open another sqlplus /nolog session, connect / as sysdba, and issue "shutdown abort". Works like a charm.

To prevent shutdown immediate from hanging and since we run the databases on backend servers and the applications from an application server we follow a simple procedure:

stop production batch
run a script to kill all remotely connect users connect to Oracle and shutdown immediate

We have not had a shutdown hang in ages.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --