Re: hanging shutdowns

From: Joseph Amalraj <joseph_at_amalrajinc.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 07:12:13 -0800 (PST)

If your requirement is to shutdown quickly, here is one solution

  1. Find out the process id for the current session from v$process.spid. and run "shutdown immediate" 2.. From a separate session kill all the oracle${ORACLE_SID} processes except the process id found in step 1. This may have to be run from root, to kill bequeath processes.

  Joseph Amalraj

Robyn <robyn.sands_at_gmail.com> wrote:
  Micheal,

I understand your position and when I arrived here, I made all the same arguments. I've been told that our legal department insists on a cold backup, and the requirement is non-negotiable. We run full test recoveries on all our major systems on a regular basis and we use the hot backups to do so. None of us doubt that the hot backups are adequate for recovery.

So I guess we're not really 24x7, we're 24x7-15 and that 15 minutes is a sacred cow that I need to leave alone right now ...

Thanks for the input and if I was calling the shots, I wouldn't do it this way. However, I would still need a script that would shut the database down quickly, possibly for maintenance or hardware issues, so I really appreciate the suggestions provided on this thread.

Robyn