Re: Non Oracle UML question

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 09:06:41 -0800

On 2/24/06, Robertson Lee - lerobe <Lee.Robertson_at_acxiom.com> wrote:

> Sorry for the non Oracle specific question but I was wondering what you
> guys out there were using to build models (LDMs, PDMs etc.) ?
>
> I would prefer cheap or free tools if possible but any recommendations
> would be great.

This comes up from time to time here.

See http://www.databaseanswers.com/modelling_tools.htm

Keep in mind that only a small percentage of tools really know how to differentiate between logical and physical design.

Oracle Designer is very good at it, but somewhat expensive. Other high end tools may be as good, but I have not used them.

I've used Embarcadero's tool, but I still much prefer Designer.

I am currently using Case Studio ( it's on that list mentioned earlier)

It is fairly good for small jobs. Though Designer is my first choice, I thought the overhead for it was somewhat high for the smallish databases we design here. The big stuff is all canned (SAP, etc).

Case Studio is inexpensive and easy to use. The eval version never times out (it is limited to creating 6 entities) so it is free for folks that only need read only access to the model.

It does not do some things as well as I would like, but with 20 or so entities/tables, it isn't too hard to edit by hand.

The logical and physical models in small databases tend to be quite similar, so that isn't much of a handicap.

It also outputs some very nice HTML reports.

--
Jared Still