Re: Partition by three column values

From: jaromir nemec <jaromir_at_db-nemec.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 23:28:08 +0100

Deepak, Sandeep,

> As Sandeep had mentioned, all the queries will
> definitely have acct_id. But he didn't mention whether
> cr_date will also 'always' be there.

my point was very simple. By the decision about the partitioning I would additionally consider the following:

if the time dimension (cr_date) consists of a large number of distinct values (e.g. timestamps) it is better to assign it as a range partition key.

if some dimension is used alternatively with BETWEEN predicates it is better to assign it as a range partition key. A between predicate could be quit common for time dimension.

But yes of course in special case if the time dimension has a fixed granularity (e.g. monthly) and you get one new account per month on average, there is no really a big difference between those two dimensions.

Regards,

Jaromir