Re: Capacity Planning

From: MARK BRINSMEAD <mark.brinsmead_at_shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 11:26:02 -0700

I am also no expert on capacity planning, but I do know that it is at once both much more complex than that, and yet (sometimes) surprisingly easy.

The first thing to realise is that growth rates are almost *never* linear. It's been my experience that this is number one error in capacity planning; the foolish notion that if it takes X CPU cycles to achieve Y units of work, it will take 10 * X CPU cycles to achive 10 * Y units of work.

Depending on the task you are trying to achieve, the growth curves may be logarithmic, quadratic, exponential, or whatever. Now, here's the trick: if you know even just a *little* bit about the critical tasks being performed, you can make a very good guess about which kind of growth curve to use.

Reporting tasks are commonly dominated by sorting, so curve of 'N * log(N)' (the Big-Oh complexity of most sorting algorithms) might be a good guess. (Here, N is really the number of records being sorted, but it's often equally valid to consider it to be something like your daily transaction volume.)

Order entry tasks generally involve inserting rows into tables indexed with B-Tree indexes. The Big-Oh complexity for inserting N rows into a B-tree index is 'N^2 * Log(N)', so if you know nothing else, this can be a very good first guess for your growth curve.

The more you know about the implementation of the application, the more reliably you can model the growth curves.

Once you have chosen the best curves you can, all you need is two good samples, and you can project growth with surpising accuracy...

I have only had to do this once -- a *very* long time ago -- but at the time I used this to plan capacity for a Fortune-500 client implementing a new mail-order line of business. Based on only moderate knowledge of the implementation of the application (e.g., this task is dominated by sorting; that task is dominated by inserting into indexed tables) and given accurate measurements from (about) their 3rd and 6th months of operation, I was able to project CPU capacity for 6, 12, 24, and 60 months.

I was told after the fact that these had proven to be the most accurate capacity plans ever done in that organisation (they had a whole team of "professional" capacity planners) and that all of my predictions up to 24 months had hit withing +/- 10% of observed actuals. Of course, I might have just been lucky... ;-)

Anyway, I have found this technique to be useful in the past, although I've never had cause to revisit it. If you're not already familiar with 'Big-Oh' growth curves (or algorithm analysis in general) there are numerous books on the subject. As far as I know, the definitive ones on the subject are from the authors Aho, Hopcroft and Ullman [who often work(ed) in collaboration]; chances are, you can still find their texts in most University book stores.