RE: On AIX using DIO/CIO on JFS2

From: Denny Koovakattu <oracle-l_at_koovakattu.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 15:43:10 -0600

Hi Brandon,

  I agree that under normal circumstances, this should not be an issue for Oracle datafiles. But just because the filesystem is configured to use DIO/CIO does not mean all IO against that filesystem will use DIO/CIO . Unless certain conditions (alignment, open mode) are met, it will revert to normal cached IO. Also if any process has a file open in an incompatible mode (non DIO/CIO mode), IO against this file from other processes will revert to cached IO until the process which has the file open in an incompatible mode closes the file. Unless we can guarantee that this will not happen, it would be prudent to patch the system. For instance, what would be the effect of say using cp against a datafile for taking an old fashioned backup ? We did not have any issues with this bug so far.

Thanks,
Denny

--
Denny Koovakattu