RE: unhacking file$

From: Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR) <Thomas.Mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 14:40:42 -0500

John,

The obvious answer is to perform a point-in-time recovery to just before this happened.

Having said the correct thing, you could try something else.

Like create a new dummy database (one that you will throw away) with a minimal number of tablespaces (System, Undo & Users). Add a couple of data files to the users tablespace.

Do exactly what your "well meaning but soon to have fingers hacked off" DBA did.

Then insert a record back into file$.

And then see what happens. The problem with this kind of testing is that you never will know if everything is ok. It may run fine for awhile. But the next migration or Rman backup may kill you.

I still would opt for choice #1 and make the other DBA do the recovery and explain to everyone what happened. A tough lesson, but one he/she needs to learn.

Good Luck!

Tom