8.1.7 import with 9.2.0 export.

From: amar_padhi <amar_padhi_at_fastmail.fm>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 17:18:47 +0400

I received an export dump from another setup, done in 8.1.7 exp utility. I tried importing the dump with 9.2.0.6.0 imp utility and got the following error. I was of the opinion that 8.1.7 dumps should work with 9.2.0 as is stated on metalink.

IMP-00038: Could not convert to environment character set's handle IMP-00000: Import terminated unsuccessfully

I verified and both databases have character set as US7ASCII and national character set as AL16UTF16. I fiddled around with the NLS_LANG local setup, but of no use.

I tried importing the dump using an older version, 8.0.6 and it still gave the same error (I did not have 8.1.7 setup to try that). One of my colleague then tried the import using 9.2.0.5.0 imp utility, guess what, it went through! I have no clue as to why the imp utility behaved in this way. My final finding:-

8.1.7 exp - export created.
8.0.6 imp -unable to import (acceptable).
9.2.0.5.0 imp - able to import, good.
9.2.0.6.0 imp - not working, what for?

Any inputs??