Re: Allowing users to execute shell scripts without seeing password

From: Joseph Amalraj <joseph_at_amalrajinc.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 20:38:01 -0800 (PST)

After doing some reading, I agree, that setting suid for shell scripts is poses security risks. Probably the solution is not to use Shell, but some else like Perl.

  Thanks

  Joseph

Michael Haddon <m.haddon_at_comcast.net> wrote:   Just for my .02 - The setuid bit sets the effective userid of the user calling the program to the user/group that owns the program. During the course of execution the program can accomplish any task, good or evil, that the owner can do.

For example, the example posted below by Joseph. The example shows the program tmp.ksh is owned by 'oracle' and belongs to group 'dba'.

If the calling user can cause the script/program to core dump or quit abnormally there used to be a very strong chance that the effective userid of the calling user would still be 'oracle'. This showed up years and years, (late 80's, early 90's), ago with the 'at' command in some pre SysVR4 systems. If you could core dump the at command while it was running, you were root.

Now, today, most programs and shells have specific signal handling code for this, but, you have to treat the command as sensitive at minimum.

Mike

Joseph Amalraj wrote: Security concerns ? Mark, please elaborate.

  Thanks

"Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak_at_il.proquest.com> wrote:

    Interesting....I can confirm that it works on Sparc-Solaris 9.

  I thought suid shell scripts were a thing of the past, due to security concerns. Seems they still work.....

  -Mark

  --
Mark J. Bobak
Senior Oracle Architect

  From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Joseph Amalraj Sent: Friday, February 17, 2006 5:04 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: RE: Allowing users to execute shell scripts without seeing password

  I think this is plaform dependent.

  On HP-UX i created a file under user "oracle" tmp.ksh
> cat tmp.ksh

#!/usr/bin/ksh
date

  then ran
  chmod 7711 tmp.ksh

> ls -l tmp.ksh

-rws--s--x 1 oracle dba 20 Feb 17 16:51 tmp.ksh

  From another user I ran
   $ /opt/oracle/tmp.ksh
Fri Feb 17 16:57:06 EST 2006

  Saving the file using "vi" resets the mode setuid bit.

  So it has to be set again

  This doesn't work in AIX

  Regards

  Joseph

< I>Ken Naim <kennaim_at_gmail.com> wrote:
  I am probably not be reading enough into the question, but here are my 2 cents; just set permission to execute only with no read or write access.

Ken Naim