Re: Allowing users to execute shell scripts without seeing password

From: Michael Haddon <m.haddon_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 09:49:24 -0600

First, I would really need to know some more information, allowing
users to log into their own Unix account, (any Unix), and then
executing a shell script is not unknown, it is done all the time for
different reasons and to perform different tasks. Whether it is to set
up their environment or to drop them into a default application.

Another good question would be 'what password?', what does this script do that it needs a password?, there are several ways to execute a script
without displaying certain sensitive information. Just depends on what you want to do.

I would not normally use the setuid bit where it is not absolutely needed. If it is used improperly it can create some serious security issues. There are plenty of alternatives like sudo, or maybe accomplishing the task without imbedding the password in the file. (best alternative).

I would love to assist with this issue, if you can provide some more information I would be happy to help.

Mike

Ken Naim wrote:
I am probably not be reading enough into the question, but here are my 2
cents; just set permission to execute only with no read or write access.

Ken Naim