RE: Allowing users to execute shell scripts without seeing password

From: Joseph Amalraj <joseph_at_amalrajinc.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 14:03:57 -0800 (PST)

I think this is plaform dependent.

  On HP-UX i created a file under user "oracle" tmp.ksh   > cat tmp.ksh
#!/usr/bin/ksh
date

  then ran
  chmod 7711 tmp.ksh

  > ls -l tmp.ksh
-rws--s--x 1 oracle dba 20 Feb 17 16:51 tmp.ksh

  From another user I ran
   $ /opt/oracle/tmp.ksh
Fri Feb 17 16:57:06 EST 2006

  Saving the file using "vi" resets the mode setuid bit.

  So it has to be set again

  This doesn't work in AIX

  Regards

  Joseph

Ken Naim <kennaim_at_gmail.com> wrote:
  I am probably not be reading enough into the question, but here are my 2 cents; just set permission to execute only with no read or write access.

Ken Naim