New Error after SA Reboots without DB Shutdown

From: Rick Weiss <RWeiss_at_safmt.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 10:00:57 -0700

Yesterday afternoon our SA rebooted the server 10.2 on RedHat/VM Ware with out insuring the database had shut all the way down. They still haven't let me modify the root shutdown script; it's still set to SHUTDOWN; (not immediate)

Anyway - after we got everything restarted, I cannot connect to one of my databases. I get the following errors from all client access attempts
(SQP*Plus, Designer, ...) I captured the following from the Designer
login error as it provides the best documentation of what's happened. I am going to open an SR as soon as I send off this message as usually I get better response from the list than from OWS. I can connect as SYS from SQL*Plus, so it appears something in the generic user login process has been broken.

Another note: RMAN backup ran last night with no errors, so SYSDBA access is alright. I use controlfile for catalog maintenance.

Messages

ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level ORA-02248: invalid option for ALTER SESSION

Cause

An error occurred while processing a recursive SQL statement
(a statement applying to internal dictionary tables).

Action

If the situation described in the next error on the stack can be corrected, do so; otherwise contact Oracle Support.

Message

RME-00220: Failed to connect to Repository

Cause

Failed to connect to the requested Repository.

Action

Examine other reported errors for specific details.

If anyone has ideas on debugging this one, I would appreciate it.

Rick Weiss
Oracle Database Administrator

rweiss_at_safmt.org
(406) 495-7356