Re: Listener password encryption

From: Greg Norris <spikey.mcmarbles_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 08:01:16 -0600

I never said that setting a listener password was a bad idea, just that there's no benefit to using an *encrypted* password. Here's a quick illustration (valid thru 9iR2... I understand that 10g finally changes this behaviour).

Say you've set your listener password to BILLBO, which produces a hash (as seen in listener.ora) of XXXXXXXX. You can now use either of the following commands at the lsnrctl prompt.

   set password<ENTER>
   BILLBO or

   set password XXXXXXXX

Now try running some commands which require you to have the password set... you'll quickly find out that both forms are 100% equivalent. In other words, you now have two passwords which need to be protected instead of just one. Hopefully you can see why I hold Oracle's encrypted listener password implementation in such low regard.

Note: I don't have access to an Oracle machine at the moment, so the above is (obviously) from memory. Feel free to try it out... no need to take my word for it.

--
"I'm too sexy for my code." - Awk Sed Fred.