ODM, disk_asynch_io and db_writer_processes

From: Deepak Sharma <sharmakdeep_oracle_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 14:25:29 -0800 (PST)

OS: Sun Solaris 2.8
Database: Oracle 10.1.0.4

We plan on implementing the ODM (Oracle Disk Manager), on our database in a few weeks. The datafiles currently are on vxfs-based filesystems. Apparently no change needs to happen on the datafiles itself, but I have a few questions ;

disk_asynch_io should be set to TRUE (default), in order to make use of Solaris asynch i/o capability once ODM is enabled.

The questions are;

  1. What value should be set for db_writer_processes ? We have 24 cpus and the value (if not set explicitly) that Oracle would choose is 3 (cpu_count/8). Or, should we need to set db_writer_processes=1, since we are specifying disk_asynch_io=TRUE, and O/S would take care of async operations.
  2. What value should the filesystemio_options be set to? By default we have it set to 'asynch' currently.

Thanks,
Deepak

Do You Yahoo!?