Re: submitting data to oracle

From: Niall Litchfield <>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 20:23:49 +0000

I'm not a great fan of XML or web services - in general it seems to me to be a reinvention of the roaring success that was EDI - however, I;m interested in the suggestion that it was the submission in XML that was unacceptable performance wise. I guess my question would be how unacceptable was it and what was it about the XML submission that made it unacceptable?

On 2/10/06, Chris Stephens <> wrote:
> i am working on a project that has a bunch of sql server databases
> (the one that comes for free) all over the country. each of these
> databases will be submitting a substantial amount of data to an Oracle
> database. the data will run through a web service sitting on a .net
> app server.
> originally the plan was to submit this data in the form of xml. that
> has turned out to be unacceptable performance wise.
> i suggested creating text files and making use of external tables to
> load the data. the problem here is that we do not have direct access
> to the file system. the files would have to be submitted to oracle
> and then written out to the file system and then loaded. I haven't
> done any tests here but it seems like kind of a long way around a
> problem.
> another option is to create a series of insert statements and
> bundling them up into a clob. i'm not sure that will be much faster
> (nor scalable) as we would have to write something to strip out the
> sql statements and then do a bunch of execute immediates.
> anyone have any comments on these options or have better options?
> there has got to be a performant way to do this. it's late on friday
> and i'm having trouble focusing on anything but the 90 minute IPA i'll
> be consuming shortly.
> chris
> --

Niall Litchfield