Re: LGWR tuning

From: Paul van den Bogaard <paul_at_vdbogaard.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 20:22:44 +0100

Hi Luca,

no, it is not this one. This one is used to trigger a timely occurence of the next IO to prevent the logbuffer to fill up. If a commit happens when the whole logbuffer is full this commit could suffer a long wait time.

In my case I have plenty of commits. These all trigger that LGWR starts (and constantly is) writing to disk. Looking at these writes from a syscall perspective I see that the max size of a single write request is 1MB. When looking at the data in v$sysstat I see the average is indeed bigger than 1MB. Diving into whats happening on the device layer I see what could have been a single write is chopped in chunks. These chunks are written in a fast sequence of write calls using async IO. I am looking at ways to reduce this amount of calls.

Thanks
Paul