Re: Usage of the dbms_stats.gather_database_stats() procedure

From: Juan Carlos Reyes Pacheco <juancarlosreyesp_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 12:28:48 -0400

Hi Steve unluess your database is very small, as the mine, I wouldn't suggest to gather histograms to everything, neither gather database statistics at once, you can get by schema (because the time takes a database gathering and if sometihng fails you will have to start to get statiscis from the beggining) , you could get histograms once (with skew only this was nice for me), analyze, and see which tables benefits of that, and to the future only gather histograms from all that tables which benefits of that, think histograms takes loong time more than normal statistics.

Anyway once you get the statistics as you want, enable table monitoring, and gather statistics for empty (new tables) and gather auto statistics for stale statisitcs. Even when I had seen some strateng behaviour when using gather auto, I think is still a good strategy.

Gathering statistics is all a science and should be done carefully, and checked from time to time, there are hidden suprises anywhere. good luck.