RE: Production DB Crash Recovery process - Some immediate advice ASAP pls

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 14:33:22 +0800

  1. If this was an online backup and you are attempting to recover the whole database AND the *last* END BACKUP in that backup set was *after* 6pm of 11-Feb, then Oracle would still want recovery.
  2. If you are using the *current* controlfile or any controlfile whose timestamp is *after* 6pm of 11-Feb, then Oracle would still want recovery.
  3. If any of the datafiles on disk that you are applying recovery to is *after* 6pm of 11-Feb, then Oracle would still want recovery.

If you've received ORA-1194 when attempting to OPEN, that doesn't mean that you cannot continue with that backup.
1. Identify the actual datafiles that you need in that backup set. 2. RECREATE the Controlfile (with a CREATE CONTROLFILE sql -- even if generated
from the current image of the controfile, you can exclude the newer files (ie those *after* 6pm of 11-Feb)
from the script.

3.  Use RECOVER DATABASE USING BACKUP CONTROLFILE UNTIL CANCEL
4. Issue CANCEL at the last ArchiveLog you want to apply
5. Issue an ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS

Note : IF A) or C) above applies to your case, you should be restoring from an *OLDER* backup.

Hemant

At 01:34 PM Sunday, VIVEK_SHARMA wrote:

>Could ORA1194 be due to some Datafiles having being ADDED AFTER the LAST
>Cold backup of 10 Feb 2006, BUT Before occurrence of the CRASH around 6
>pm on 11 Feb 2006, which continue to exist in the respective Directories
>during the recovery process?
>

>Qs How can we identify these Datafiles which are NOT in sync with the
>rest of the Database files after getting ORA1194 when attempting to open
>the Databse?
>
>Qs Should we consider removing Such Files, if there, before
>RE-initiating the CANCEL based recovery process again?
>
>Reference is to the following Article:-
>
>http://www.orafaq.com/usenet/comp.databases.oracle.server/2003/08/20/176
>0.htm
>
>Thanks indeed