Re: Myths & legends: temporay segments and redo

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 22:27:26 -0000

I may have missed something, but I didn't see an example of temporary segments used by sorting generating any redo. Your example showed:

creation of gtt
redo size before insert into gtt
insert
redo size after insert into gtt

a session hold space in temp

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.oracle.com/technology/community/oracle_ace/ace1.html#lewis

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Cost Based Oracle: Fundamentals

On 02/11/2006 04:38:51 PM, Jonathan Lewis wrote:

> As a cross-check, you need to compare the redo
> from using a GTT with the redo from using a
> normal table.
>
> The answer to your puzzle is that changes to the
> GTT do not generate redo, but they do generate
> undo, and the undo generates redo.

How about the "normal" temporary segments, the ones allocated by sorts?

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mgogala.com